Collagen Boosting Treatments & Productsposted February 16, 2022
Let’s talk about collagen. You know it’s important and that it plays a vital role in the look and function of your skin. But what is it exactly? And as our skin matures as we age, how can you, well, get more of it?
No need to fret, because we’ve got the answers. Stay with us as we cover everything you need to know about this skincare superhero — and how you can get smoother, firmer skin, no matter your age.
What is Collagen and How Does it Work?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, found in the bones, muscles, skin, and tendons. It’s a substance that essentially holds our bodies together. Call it the “glue” that’s responsible for healthy joints. It allows the body and its many organs to keep their unique shape and resist injury. However, when people talk about the benefits of collagen, they are generally referring to the extraordinary ways it helps the skin.
Collagen gives our skin a plump, youthful look and keeps it from sagging. But as we age, our bodies produce less collagen. This results in the typical signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles, lost elasticity in the skin, and stiff joints. Definitely not what we want!
What Contributes to Collagen Loss?
When we’re young, our bodies naturally produce enough collagen to keep our complexions looking smooth and healthy. Think baby skin! As we age, our bodies, unfortunately, produce significantly less.
With age, natural collagen production begins to slow, and cell structures weaken. The skin becomes thinner, drier, and less elastic. The loss of collagen leads to wrinkle formation and skin that sags, while ligaments lose their elasticity, joints get stiffer. Ah, the beauty of aging!
Collagen Loss Begins At Age 30
So when does this all begin, exactly? Around the time we turn 30, we begin to lose collagen at a rate of 1 percent per year, with a more rapid decrease after age 40. Even though this is a natural, gradual process, some lifestyle habits may speed up this collagen loss, including excessive sun exposure from being outside and an indulgent diet. (A little difficult with the sun and delicious food that Austin, Texas has to offer!)
What Are the Best Ways to Replenish Collagen?
Ready for the good news? There are plenty of simple ways to boost your collagen levels! Enriching your diet with antioxidants is one of the best, most holistic ways, but you’ll also want to make sure to add the following rockstar ingredients to your skincare routine:
This antioxidant ingredient is a well-known superstar because of its collagen-boosting properties. After all, a decrease in our ability to produce adequate levels of vitamin C is a primary reason why we stop naturally producing as much collagen in the first place. This vitamin C serum, available at Viva Day Spa in Austin, can help revamp your skin with the healthy collagen production you need to keep it looking youthful and glowing.Buy Now
Another type of antioxidant that’s a powerhouse at boosting collagen, retinol penetrates down deep into your skin. It blocks certain enzymes that destroy collagen, helping your skin with cell turnover for a smoother, more youthful appearance. This retinol cream helps improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, blemishes, and pores by accelerating cellular turnover.Buy Now
These substances help to protect the body from free radicals, which damage the skin. Antioxidants are easiest to get in your diet, by consuming the following food and drinks: green tea, yerba mate (great local Austin brand here!), blueberries, mulberry extract, pomegranate extract, licorice extract, cinnamon, oregano, basil, and thyme essential oils.
You can also get a cocktail of antioxidants from choosing the right skincare products like this balm, which is packed with free radical-fighting blueberry extract.Buy Now
Med Spa Treatments to Boost Collagen for Skin
Want to crank it up a notch? You can also throw your skin a collagen party with some of our medical spa’s best collagen treatments for turning back the clock on your skin:
- Microneedling: Also known as collagen induction therapy, this treatment creates tiny micro “injuries” which stimulates the skin’s self-repair process.
- Morpheus8 RF Microneedling: The ultimate collagen treatment for the face, neck and chest, Morpheus8 pairs microneedling with radiofrenqency energy to trigger your body’s natural healing response. This in turn promotes the production of new collagen and elastin for firmer skin.
- Forma Skin Tightening: Using radio frequency, Forma treatments stimulate new collagen to improve skin elasticity. It feels like a hot stone massage on your face!
- IPL Photofacial: Thanks to intermittent pulses of laser light to the skin, IPL stimulates collagen growth deep down, reducing wrinkles, sunspots and other indicators of aging.
- Juvederm and Restylane: Take it a little further with these dermal fillers that act as collagen replacement treatments. HA dermal fillers replace volume caused by collagen loss in your lips, cheeks, face, chin and jawline. They also have been proven to help stimulate natural collagen production.
- Sculptra: This FDA-approved dermal filler injectable helps gradually replace lost collagen, working gradually over time.
Book an Appointment in Austin to Pump Up the Collagen
Here at Viva, we strongly believe that self-care is a form of healthcare — and that you deserve to look and feel your best, always. As a new patient, we invite you in for a complimentary consultation with our medical team so that we can discuss your needs and goals to create a plan that’s just right for you.
All of our med spa treatments are available in north Austin at Viva Day Spa Domain Northside in The Domain. If you live downtown or in South Austin, conveniently schedule your treatment at Viva Day Spa Lamar. Most of our collagen treatments in Austin can be booked online.