Why Now Is The Best Time for Laser Treatmentsposted February 15, 2023
Maybe you’re not thinking about baring your stubble-ridden legs, underarms, or bikini lines at your next Hamilton Pool day now. But we can bet your bottom Barton Springs dollar that you will be soon. Or maybe you’re day dreaming about ditching your dry, flaky and dull winter complexion in time for warmer weather soirees? Either way, getting ready now means you can slip into your favorite spring and summer looks the minute the weather warms up. So without further ado, let’s talk lasers.
Is Winter a Good Time to Get Laser?
Fall, winter and late spring are the ideal seasons for laser treatments. The cardinal rule before beginning any laser treatments is no sun exposure for the treatment area for at least two weeks. But we know how difficult that can be between April and October in Austin. That’s why the seasons with the least intense heat and sun are the best times to get your laser on. Plus the added bonus is it may be easier to book an appointment, because you’re not competing with everyone else who waited until the last minute. Need more reasons to book that laser session now?
- You won’t have a tan. Getting laser treatments on sunburned or even tan skin is a no-no because even a solid tan can make lasers less effective. By getting your laser treatments in during the winter, you don’t have to worry about these factors. Finally: a benefit to winter-weary pasty skin!
- You protect your skin from the sun. You can’t expose your skin to the sun after laser treatments. That’s a tall order during Texas summers. Getting treatments in the winter and early spring lets you cover up without sweltering.
- You give your skin a chance to heal. Lasers remove top layers of dead skin cells. Good riddance, gross cells. That process does require a healing period, though, and during winter your skin can stay out of the sun and covered up, so any minor redness or irritation can hit the road before you show off your smooth, refreshed skin.
- You get the time to get optimal results. Laser hair removal and some other laser treatments may require a few sessions before you see ideal results. Getting started now means you can reveal your most luminous skin when warmer weather hits.
- You get to treat winter skin. Winter is not the kindest season to skin, even in sunny Texas. Heaters and changing temperatures can mean dry, dull skin. No, thanks! Laser treatments can help you deal with dryness, eczema, dullness, and other common concerns.
If you’ve been dreaming of warm weather, you can get a jump on your favorite season by getting ready for the time you can (finally!) shed those layers. Laser treatments are the perfect way to pamper yourself in cooler weather and to get ready for the new season.
What Laser Treatments Are Good for Winter?
Winter is the best time to book any laser treatment that requires limited or prohibited sun exposure. While these treatments can be performed year-round, staying out of the hot Texas sun can be a much bigger struggle come summer in Austin. Here are Viva’s favorite laser treatments to partake in this winter:
- Laser Hair Removal. One of the most popular laser treatments is laser hair removal, which helps get rid of hair on legs, arms, face, and other areas to get you summer-ready. Laser hair removal is ideal because it leaves skin super-soft and allows you to break up with razors, waxing, and other, harsher hair removal methods.
- Fraxel Dual Laser Skin Resurfacing. Lighten pigmentation/brown spots, smooth the texture, and improve the tone of aging, scarred and sun damaged skin with Fraxel Dual Laser Resurfacing.
- Clear + Brilliant. Sometimes referred to as “Baby Fraxel,” Clear + Brilliant is a gentle laser treatment that brightens and improves your complexion for a more youthful, radiant glow.
- IPL treatment. While not technically a laser treatment, IPL treatments use intense pulsed light (IPL) to stimulate collagen production, so they can combat lines, sun damage, large pores, rosacea, and more.
Not sure which laser treatment is right for you? Call (512) 300-2256 or complete our online consultation request form to schedule a complimentary consultation with our medical team. You complimentary consultation will include a medical assessment, discussion about your desired results, and development of a custom treatment plan. A nurse practitioner or physician associate will review your medical history and current medications to clear you to receive advanced med spa treatments.
How Long Does Skin Take to Fully Heal After a Laser Treatment?
If you’re trying a new laser treatment, it’s useful to chat with the professional administering the treatment before your session so you understand what the healing and after laser hair removal process might be like. In general, you will see a big improvement within one to three days, but it can take up to ten days or four weeks for skin to heal fully, depending on your situation. Everyone’s skin is different, and if you’re curious what kind of skin you’re in, you might want to take a look at Fitzpatrick scales to get a sneak peek at what you can expect from your skin type.
How Should You Care for Skin After a Laser Treatment?
Some people leave the spa after laser treatments ready to rock. Some people experience mild redness or discomfort. If you’re getting a laser treatment, following a good
post-laser hair removal pampering routine can help your skin heal more effectively so you look your best sooner. Viva has a post procedure system, which has everything you need in a soothing post-laser kit, to help you out. Here are a few other things you’ll want to include in your post-laser hair removal care routine:
- Soothe the skin. A cool compress within a few hours after laser hair removal or laser treatment can help you stay comfortable. Just make sure you don’trub the area.
- Wash the affected area. You can wash the area where you had the laser treatment, using very gentle products, lukewarm water, and absolutely no scrubbing or rubbing. Afterward, cover the area by slipping into comfortable clothing that’s not too restrictive.
- Tackle redness. If you’re looking a little pink, try Discoloration Defense by SkinCeuticals as part of your post-laser hair removal care. This product is made with a synergistic blend of ingredients specifically designed for discoloration and post-laser care.
- Slather on a moisturizing sunscreen. Look for quality sunscreens that are hydrating and will soothe your skin while also protecting it. You will want to protect the area from tanning for one to two months after treatment to let your skin fully heal.
As you consider what to do after laser hair removal, remember a few don’ts, too. Try to avoid any products with fragrances or irritants. Gentle is best right now. For the same reason, stay away from scratching, tweezing, picking, or anything that could irritate or harm the skin.
Spring is Coming
Now is the best time for laser! If you’ve been curious about this type of treatment, it may be time to take the plunge — especially now that you know what’s involved and what to do after laser hair removal. If you want to try all the amazing effects of lasers to get summer-ready, book an appointment with Viva Day Spa today. Our laser professionals make sure you stay comfortable and enjoy amazing results in a tranquil, luxurious spa setting.Book An Appointment